Welcome to Happiness Simplified, a weekly podcast about the simple things that can make your life awesome. As our stuff builds and accumulates in our homes, our lives, our SUVs, etc., the act of purging and paring down these items may not be as easy as it seems. Kayvon and Dai delve into the psychological barriers and attachments that tend to be tied to our stuff and dig into the benefits of purging. Tune in to discover the resources and methodologies that have helped Kayvon and Dai simplify their life and happiness by purging.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 00:28 – Introduction to the podcast
- 00:50 – Kayvon read an article titled, “Researchers Prove that Mars is Warmer than Toronto”
- 02:03 – The recording is happening on Dec. 21,2016
- 02:16 – Kayvon moved to another place, 16 days ago
- 02:53 – Kayvon shares how he felt while in the process of purging
- 03:20 – Kayvon hoards specific items
- 03:45 – Kayvon found some strange items
- 04:40 – Purging is getting rid of things that do not matter to you anymore
- 04:56 – Dai shares his experience with purging
- 05:25 – We leverage our time to get things
- 05:59 – You have the “what if” thoughts with the things you’ve kept
- 06:25 – Dai gets stressed by the process of purging
- 07:00 - Kayvon shares when he was away for 5 months
- 07:24 – Kayvon had someone help him get through the process of purging
- 07:50 – We invest time and money in the things that we store
- 08:18 – Having limitations can be very helpful in the process of purging
- 08:28 – Kayvon listened to Ari Meisel's one episode in his podcast about setting limitations
- 09:40 – Setting limitations for ourselves is going to be a big help in every aspect of life
- 09:56 – The more space we have, the more we want to fill it
- 10:35 – Go through that process of, “Does this [item] really matter?”
- 11:19 – We always try to figure out ways to fill more stuff into our SUVs
- 12:15 – Dai and his family benefited a lot from purging
- 13:10 – Dai's wife helps him with the process
- 14:07 – Dai will get people to review products for him
- 15:00 – Kayvon shares the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying-Up
- 15:34 – Ask yourself a question—does this spark joy to me or anyone?
- 16:30 – Remove things that spark negativity
- 16:59 - The second book, Spark Joy
- 17:55 – The process of asking the question, “Does this spark joy to me or anyone?” will bypass the “what ifs”
- 18:50 – Dai works with Telus and they give them techy things
- 19:47 – Dai keeps the things that bring him happiness like the activity tracker
- 20:15 – Dai got a Storm Trooper mug that he uses
- 21:21 – Dai picked up a habit where he does not buy the things they don't need
- 22:05 – "Stuff is just stuff"
- 22:49 – Kayvon shares the comedy book, The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fck
- 23:37 – Kayvon shares another technique to help us not hoard things
- 24:10 – If you're buying an item, you have to get rid of another
- 24:49 – Keep a predetermined number and stick to it
- 26:00 – Dai's wife's challenge for purging
- 27:30 – Donate things
- 28:13 – Kayvon and Dai love feedback so reach out to them on iTunes
- 28:54 – Happy 2017, and keep simplifying your happiness!
3 Key Points:
- Setting limitations for ourselves helps us in EVERY aspect of life.
- People tend to get emotionally attached with things they're not supposed to.
- You can eliminate stress by removing the things that do not spark joy and by keeping the things that do.
Show Notes provided by Mallard Creatives